home sweet home made vanilla sugar
instead of just using commercial vanilla extract, you can make your own authentic vanilla sugar, using two ingredients only: any sugar of your liking and real vanilla. the beauty about this home made vanilla sugar is, that it becomes better with time and makes a perfect, unexpensive gift for anyone who loves baking. enjoy!
makes approximately 2 cups
2 cups granulated sugar (brown or white)
2 vanilla beans (preferably madagascar beans)
1 large air tight jar or several small ones
1 large mixing bowl & whisk or a food processor
1 sharp pairing knife
1 small spoon (smallest you can find)
1. add the sugar to your bowl if mixing by hand. if you are using a fpod processor, add it to the bowl of your food processor.
2. use your knife to slice the vanilla beans in half lengthwise, then scrape out the seeds in a downward motion using a small spoon or the other side of your knife. cut the empty vanilla pods into 2 inch pieces & reserve them.
3. add the vanilla bean seeds to the sugar, pulse with your food processor or mix with a whisk until well incorporated.
4. pour your sugar mix into the air tight jar/s, add the empty vanilla bean pods, submerging them into your sugar mixture.
5. let the sugar infuse for up to 2 weeks for amazing flavor.
vanilla sugar will keep indefinitely if stored in an air tight jar in a cool & dry place.